This cemetery is located 3 kilometres south-east of the city center on Uhuru Highway leading from the airport to Nairobi town center. Coming from the airport the cemetery is situated directly beside the road on the left, adjacent to the Bunyala roundabout. This is the first roundabout after the Nyayo National Stadium.During the First World War, Nairobi was the headquarters of the King’s African Rifles and became the main hospital center for the East African campaign.
Nairobi South Cemetery contains 155 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, mostly in one section, interspersed by civilian graves. There are also two burials of the Second World War.The cemetery also contains the Nairobi British and Indian Memorial, a screen wall which commemorates British and Indian officers and men who lost their lives in the East African campaign before the advance to the Rufiji in January 1917.