The registration of deaths in Kenya is done through the Civil Registration Department. You will be required to use eCitizen Portal in order to obtain a death certificate.
Log in to the eCitizen portal, www.ecitizen.go.ke
You will be prompted to log in to your eCitizen account. Enter your email and password if you have an account already.
If it is your first time logging into the portal, you can quickly create an account by clicking on the ‘sign up’ tab.
Application for Current Death Certificate of an ADULT
- Fill in the online application form
- Upload all required documents
- Pay for your application
- Await feedback, once certificate is ready, you will be notified via SMS.
- Applicant should come in person with a copy of the invoice and original identification documents when picking the certificate
- Scanned copy of the burial permit
- Scanned copy of identification documents if the deceased above 18 years ie national ID, alien ID or passport.
It is important to note that
- Application should be submitted at least 30 days after the date of death
- All attachments should be in PDF format.
- During collection the applicant MUST surrender the original Identification Card of the deceased
While applying, the details you will be required to fill include:
- County of death
- Permit No
- Exact place of Death
- ID Number of the deceased
- Name of Deceased as per Identity Card
- Scanned ID Copy
- Date of Death
- Scanned Copy of Burial Permit
- Age of deceased
- Occupation of deceased
- Address of Applicant
- Number of Copies
- Pick up Point
Registration of births and deaths was introduced for the first time in Kenya in 1904 and applied only to Europeans and Americans. In 1928 the current act CAP 149 was enacted. This act only provided for the compulsory registration of the deaths of Africans but not for their births.
After independence in 1963, compulsory registration of all births and deaths was extended in phases to other areas beginning with Nairobi and Nyeri on 1 st March 1963. On 1 st September 1971 it became compulsory to register all births and deaths occurring in Kenya.